Thursday, October 10, 2013

#ThrowbackThursday


These photos make me so sad. Wow. They were taken in 2007. It was my then, best friend’s wedding day and I was giving a speech at the reception. I remember thinking I looked so cute that day. At the time, that was one of my favorite dresses. I went to get my hair done that morning. And I took a little extra time doing my make-up. But now when I look at these pictures, all I see is someone who looks tired, unhealthy, and miserable. I can’t believe I wasted so much of my life abusing my body. And I was 5 years into being a vegetarian at that point...a PROUD vegetarian. I remember having this one male friend who took every opportunity to remind me that every other vegetarian he knew was skinny. I use to get so offended and so angry with him. But now, looking back at these pictures, I can see where he was coming from. No, I didn’t eat meat or seafood, but I was no vegetarian. I ate plenty of unhealthy, processed, animal bi-product filled foods. I loaded up on sweets, pasta, and white rice like it was my job. I was so uneducated in regards to true vegetarianism and honestly, I didn’t care. My reasons for being a vegetarian was out of compassion, not for health reasons…and that’s crystal clear from these photos.

Now, when I tell people that I am a vegan, I hope that I am doing other vegans proud. I know better now, and hopefully I am doing better…a little more every day.


 *Disclaimer* The jacket in the above photo is NOT real leather. Good girls FAKE it, baby!

Here’s to Throwback Thursday and the fact that I am never going back!

Always,

Blaque
Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers. ~ 3 John 1:2

No comments: