Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I'm Blaque and I'm Back!

For the last several days I’ve been suffering from the worst headaches and I have been super lethargic. And when I’m tired and in pain, the last thing I want to do is worry about my diet and exercise routine. Think about them? Yes. Worry about them? Not one bit.

Being a slug has been fun, but I feel my clothes getting tighter so it's definitely time for me to re-group. I haven’t really been feeling my workout DVDs. I stopped Ripped In 30 after a few days of Week 3. And The Firm: The 500 Calorie Workout I think I may have done only once or twice. I only have 4 dollars in my Workout Jar so monetary self-motivation obviously didn’t work at all. So I decided to adjust…which brings me to my October Challenge.




I love walking and jogging. Nothing makes me feel better than being out in the fresh air and MOVING! So I’ve made walking my focus for this month.



I am going to try and walk and/or jog 100 miles in 31 days. Now I’m already behind because I didn’t do anything yesterday. But so far today, I’ve walked 1.04 miles on one of my breaks. Only 99 more to go…let’s get it!

While I’ve been on inactive status, there have been a couple of things that have excited me.

The first is an app that I found in the Android Play Store called Is It Vegan? OMG…where has this app been all of my life? First of all it’s free which is always a good thing. But it allows you to scan the bar code of a product in order to find out if that product is Vegan, Vegetarian or neither. Awesome, totally awesome! 




There were things in my cabinet liked canned vegetables that I just assumed was vegan, but found that they had beef broth or was seasoned with pork. No bueno! I'm so glad I've found this app. Life as I know it just got easier.

I’ve also been re-watching this documentary I purchased a few years ago called Vegucated. It’s funny but every time I watch it, there always seem to be more information that I didn’t get the first time or things that I understand differently the more I watch. This documentary does an excellent job of explaining what exactly a Vegan is and what a Vegan is not. I personally get tired of people who claim to be a vegetarian or vegan, then follow with “but I eat fish” or “but I eat chicken”…last time I checked fish and chicken don’t grow on trees, but hey, what do I know? Maybe there is a fish tree somewhere in someone's back yard. *shrugs shoulders*



Anyway, Vegucated follows three people who attempt to go vegan for 6 weeks. They decide to go vegan mainly to lose weight or for health reasons. But throughout their journey they are exposed to the inhumane treatment of farm animals and learn more about the environmental reasons why people should choose this lifestyle. I dare anyone to watch this DVD and not re-evaluate their eating habits. If you don’t FEEL some kind of way after watching this documentary, I would advise you to check yourself for a heartbeat. It’s truly moving!


Side Note:  The fact that dog fighting is illegal in this country is the height of hypocrisy given the inhumane and frankly barbaric treatment of farm animals. 

That’s all for now. Yes, I had a relapse of sorts, but I’m happy to write that I’m slowly getting my mojo back.

Feeling better all the time,

Blaque
Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers. ~ 3 John 1:2

No comments: