Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Size 8 and Not Feeling So Great

There are some things one would assume a person knows about themselves. What their natural hair color is. How tall they are.  What size pants he or she wears.

But yesterday I decided to treat myself to a new outfit.  Out of habit, I pulled a size 12 and a size 10. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried on the pants and they were both too big! In a bit of disbelief, I went back to the rack and pulled a size 8. They fit perfectly! Yippee…I’m out of the double digits!



Then after clothes shopping, I stopped at a restaurant for some take out. I ran into an old high school acquaintance and Facebook friend. When she saw me she said something to the effect of:  “You’re always on Facebook talking about losing weight. Look at you! You are skinny!”

If only I could see what everyone else sees. If only I could look in the mirror and see a woman who wears a size 8.

My body image has been screwed up for so long, I can only half-heartedly celebrate the realization that I am no longer in the double digit pant sizes. I know I will never look like a Victoria's Secret fashion model or have a figure like Beyonce, but just once I want to be able to live in the moment and enjoy these little victories.

The sad truth is, I don’t think that I will ever look in the mirror and NOT see a fat girl.  Fat, not pretty, was what I was called most often as I was growing up. I don’t know what it feels like to look in the mirror and love, hell even accept, the person that I see.  

Can anyone suggest a good book on body image? (sigh)



But seriously, in addition to my goal of reaching 135 pounds, I also have a goal of fixing what’s wrong in my heart and in my head. I don’t know how I’m going to do that. How do I erase 42 years of anxiety and feeling insecure? No clue…but I know that in order for me to truly be happy, regardless of the number on the scale, I have to change my way of thinking. I have to free myself from this self-imposed obsession about my body. It’s gonna be tough and probably a little painful. But it has to be done. I have to start living!



*nervously bites nailsWish me luck on that!

In other news...my October Walking Challenge is progressing. I continue to have issues with the personal care aids and now Virginia's weather forecast consists of rain, rain, and more rain. So I haven't put in as many miles as I would have liked to at this point. But maybe I can make up for lost time once the rain stops.I really want to get 100 miles in. Will I do it? Stay tuned!




Always,


Blaque
Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers. ~ 3 John 1:2

No comments: