Friday, October 4, 2013

The Tragedy at the Capital

This story has nothing to do with weight loss, exercise, or fitness. But when I saw the photo of the woman that was killed by police outside the Capitol building yesterday, it was really heart breaking.


What a beautiful smile and lovely face. I hope she finds the peace that she was struggling for in this life.

It’s ironic and maddening that Congress is fighting the President over his healthcare plan when there are so many people in need of primary and  mental health care. No one will ever know what Miriam Carey’s breaking point was or what happened to cause her to act in such an erratic way with her one year old daughter in the car with her. Stories are starting to come out about her mental health and possible post partum depression.  I guess this story affected me so much because like Ms. Carey, I too am a working single mother. I know what it’s like to feel alone, and overwhelmed, and stressed, and angry, and sad and hopeless. I’m sure many people in this country can relate to some or all of those feelings, too. The last thing Republicans should be doing right now is causing more anxiety to thousands of Americans by keeping this shutdown going for no other reason than they oppose “Obamacare”. My thoughts are prayers are with Ms. Carey’s family, especially her little girl who now has to grow up without a mother. My thoughts are also with the Secret Service member and the Capitol Police officer who were injured during yesterday’s events.

Now, for things of the trivial nature…

I registered for my first 5K today. Well, it wasn’t my first one actually. I did the Cerebral Palsy of Greater Hampton Roads 5K earlier this year, but it was a run/walk and trust me, I did more walking than running. In November I will be doing the ABC 5K for the Foodbank. I don’t have time to do as much giving back as I would like so this is a great opportunity for me to help the community especially with the holidays coming up.

Also, it’s my hope that this impending 5K will motivate me to get up off my butt and start jogging again. I’ve been on an all things active hiatus for the past few weeks. Although, on my day off yesterday I did manage to walk 3.13. 





If all goes well, I’ll be getting in at least as many miles today!

Thanks ever so much for reading.

Always,


Blaque
Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers. ~ 3 John 1:2

No comments: