Monday, February 10, 2014

Black History Month Monday: Florence Griffith Joyner

This was a woman after my own heart. She was the epitome of beauty, athleticism, and style. Florence Griffith Joyner was a track and field super star. She is still considered the "fastest woman of all time" because the world records she set in 1988 for both the 100 meters and 200 meters still stand and have yet to be seriously challenged. Sadly, Flo Jo died in her sleep as the result of an epileptic seizure in 1998 at the age of 38.
 
 Flo Jo on physical fitness
"Health and fitness should be a part of everyone's life. When we take good care of our bodies, our bodies take good care of us in return."

Flo Jo on her style
"I like designing clothes, and I wanted to bring something of myself into what I do. The one-legger? That was an accident. I was actually creating an even more radical style by cutting several holes in the stocking, and I happened to cut off the leg. I tried it on and though, 'Hmmm, this looks cute.'"


Flo Jo on the day she became the fastest woman in history
 “I had a good start, a relaxed middle, and kept my knees up at the end. It was more or less a perfect race. When I saw that time, I couldn't believe it, but after the first race time I knew I could get into the 10.50's. It just made me realize that if I kept concentrating, I could go faster.”
 

Happy Black History Month.
 
Thanks for reading.
 
Always,
 
Blaque
Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers.
 ~ 3 John 1:2 ~

No comments: