Friday, January 24, 2014

CH-CH-CH-CHIA!

Happy Friday!
 
Maybe I've been living under a rock, but I've never heard of Chia seeds until very recently. And from what I've been reading, I've been missing out on quite a bit. Chia seeds are clearly a SUPERduper Food and I'm excited to see how adding them to my diet will benefit me.
 
 
 
I purchased a bag at Trader Joe's for $4.99. Very reasonable. They have 6 grams of fiber, 2.9 Omega 3 fatty acids, 3 grams of my all important protein and only 70 calories per tablespoon. This morning I added 2 tablespoons to one of my favorite protein shake recipes. Every article I've read about Chia seeds claims that they suppress hunger and help with weight loss. I'll report back on that later...

 
 

I call this my Berry Crazy Protein Shake. I make it with:

  • 2 scoops of Soy Protein Powder
  • 16 ounces of Vanilla Soymilk
  • A handful of blueberries, strawberries and blueberries
  • 1 banana
  • a few drops of vanilla extract
  • 2t bsp. of Chia Seeds
This shake is thick...like, thick thick! It tastes great, but let's see if it keeps me feeling full and aids in my weight loss. Stay tuned.

I also put together an apple and pecan salad for later. I plan to add some chia to that too. Mmmm, I feel healthier already!



In other news...I was doing my "Out Of Hibernation Workout"  last night when all of a sudden, my hands started cramping. I put my hand weights down for a while then tried to start again, but the cramps returned right away. Must be another one of those "when you reach a certain age" things. What can ya do?

I was determined to get in some late night exercises, so I decided to try a H.I.T.T. workout that I found online.

 
 
This was my first time doing a High Intensity Interval Training workout. At first I wondered how I would keep track of the intervals. But then I thought..."I bet there's an app for that." Sure enough, there were several.
 
 
 
I downloaded a free HITT timer from the Android Play Store and it worked perfectly. I highly recommend it if you're a newbie like me and want to try some of these at home workouts. This particular workout was great for beginners which is exactly what I needed. I'm on a mission to find more and try new ones each week.
 
Equally exciting as my Chia seeds and H.I.T.T. discoveries, is the fact that when I was getting ready for work this morning I realized that my size 8 pants that I was so happy to fit into this summer are now too big in the waste.
 
 
 
I started trying to focus on toning and strength training, and the weight is beginning to come off again. How you love that? 
 
Chia seeds,  H.I.T.T and strength training...who knew? LOL.

Thanks for reading!

Always,

Blaque
Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers.
 ~ 3 John 1:2 ~

No comments: