Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Out of Hibernation



Yep, that's what I've been doing. HIBERNATING.

Every year, when the temperature drops, I become an inactive, comfort food eating slug.

I hate the cold weather. I really do. And there is something about decreasing temperatures and shorter days that gives me a serious case of the Seasonal Blues. Back in October when I last weighed in for this blog, I was around 150 pounds. Well, during my dormant period I gained another 10 to 12 pounds. Not good. But lucky for me, I have a friend who is so motivated and physically fit, I was inspired to cut my hibernation short this year and get my but back on track.

So for the last few weeks, I've been watching what I eat and becoming more active.

And today, I tip the scales at 141.4 pounds! Yay me!



Actually, I wasn't really eating that poorly. I mean, I wasn't chowing down on cakes and cookies or anything like that. Maybe a little too much white rice from time to time. And perhaps 2 or 3 (or an entire box) of protein bars is too much for a 24 hour period. But I didn't completely come unglued. My weight gain had more to do with being sedentary than anything else.

So once again, it's on...I've been trying to get in my cardio by any means necessary. I stop at the mall on my way to work and walk for at least a half an hour. While at work, I get up from my desk once every hour and take the stairs to the fifth floor. When the weather is bearable, preferably over 40 degrees, I take walks and/or jogs on my lunch breaks. The sunlight and fresh air is worth the short stints out in the cold. Besides, I made it through 6 weeks of Basic Training at Fort Jackson, South Carolina during the months of January and February. The fact that it was cold outside was no excuse to cancel P.T. While I'm not as physically strong as I was then, I'd like to think I'm definitely mentally tougher. And as we all know, this whole weight loss thing starts with getting your mind right.

I've also been going to the gym and hitting the treadmill when I have the time and things aren't chaotic at home. But lately, gym visits are few and far between.

I still want to reach my goal of 135 pounds, but right now, my main focus is toning. I don't think anyone is ready for this jelly...especially not me. I've been working out at home with 5 pound hand weights...just to get myself adapted again. Right now, I do the following routine every other night before bedtime.

 
 
 
My 43rd birthday is next month and I hope to be a little more toned and closer to my goal of 135 pounds by then. 

Can I loose 6 pounds by February 17th? Can I firm up my abs, thighs and triceps? Only time will tell, but I am going to give it my best shot.

So that's it. That's my first blog post in 3 months and the first for 2014. Time to refocus.

Thanks for reading!

Always,

Blaque
Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers. ~ 3 John 1:2

No comments: