Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Stuck In A Rut

 
I received an email from someone who described herself as being “stuck in a rut” and in need of encouragement. Boy oh boy, have I been there!  If you do a Google search for weight loss motivation or breaking through plateaus, you’ll get a plethora of tips from so called experts…some useful, others not so much.
 
I myself am no expert. I don’t have a degree in Psychology and the only things I know about Health and Nutrition is what's worked for me in the past. I’m just a busy, single mother raising a child with Cerebral Palsy who also takes care of an elderly parent all while holding down a full time job. So if there is one thing I DO know, it’s the feeling of being overwhelmed. I know what it feels like to be depressed and frustrated and lost. And I know exactly what it's like to have my weight spiral out of control while trying to figure out all of the stuff that life throws at me seemingly all at once.
 
When I was at my lowest point, feeling hopeless, and wanting the pain to end, the last thing I cared about was losing weight. And the less I cared, the more I gained. I was in a rut, and it wasn't pretty.
 
What sustained me during my low period however, was my faith in the Lord.



Don’t get me wrong, there were days that I was angry at God. Other days I was convinced that He had given up on me. But more often than not, I held on to His word. One of my favorite passages that I recited regularly was Joshua 1:9: Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage ; be not afraid , neither be thou dismayed : for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest .

Once I started feeling a little better mentally, I was able to do a little more for myself physically. Just getting out of the house and breathing in fresh air did wonders. Finding some quiet time for myself every night and reading my favorite novels helped too. I found the most clarity though when I kept a journal and also wrote down my nightly prayers.
 
James 2:20 tells us that “… faith without works is dead”.  Having faith sustained me, but taking the steps to improve my circumstances changed me. You have to do something…anything, no matter how small if you want to feel better.

My unprofessional advice: Whatever it is that makes you feel good, do it. As long as it's not illegal or harmful to others, that is. Once you start to feel better mentally, even if it's just a little, then you can start working on things like weight loss.
 
My transformation didn’t happen overnight. Heck, I’m still trying to find ways to handle stress and anxiety. I’ve gotten a lot better at it, but there are still moments when I’d rather binge eat and be alone than to do something productive like exercise. I’m human…we all are. 
 
It’s so important to be patient with yourself and know that as long as you are able to open your eyes in the morning, you’ve been blessed with another chance to get things right. Doing just a little bit more today than you did yesterday will lead you to your “better”! Believe it!

 
 
Good luck to you and thanks for reading.

Always,
Blaque
Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers.
 ~ 3 John 1:2 ~ 

No comments: