Thursday, January 23, 2014

My "Why?"



Being a parent is a blessing and a challenge. Being a single parent can sometimes be more of a challenge. But being a single parent of a child with a profound disability can be overwhelming at times.

My son Travis is 13 years old and growing like a weed. He's small for his age, but over a hundred pounds now...yikes!

 


Within the last year or so it has become increasing difficult for me to lift him. In and out of the bathtub is the hardest. In and out of his wheelchair...not as bad, but somewhat of a struggle none the less. And transporting him and his wheelchair when we go for errands and appointments? I don't even know how I do it sometimes.

It occurred to me recently that in order for me to continue to take care of my little big guy, I am going to have to be physically stronger. Placing him in a facility at some point is not an option. I'd die without him. So I've begun to think about working out and strength training as something I do for him. And as anyone who knows me will tell you, I'd do anything for that little boy. Yes, losing weight and being healthier and more toned is something I need to do for myself. But I know if I am not the best me I can be, my son will be adversely affected...again, not an option!

So this morning I got up around 4:30 am. I did my Personal Training With Jackie: Crunch Free Xtreme Abs DVD.

 
 
My abs are truly the bane of my existence these days. I've lost 99 pounds (come on 100!) over the last two years. I know that when a person loses a significant amount of weight, the saggy skin is hard to get rid of. But I'm certainly going to try and tighten that area as much as humanly possible. Otherwise I'll have to remove all mirrors, TV screens, and silverware from my home. I'm not even kidding! 
 
Now, I'm off to work. We had some snow yesterday and the temperature is not expected to get out of the 30's today. I definitely won't do any walking, but I'll do the stairs at work and perhaps another DVD tonight. Gotta get it in...
 
Thanks for reading!

Always,

Blaque
Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers.
 ~ 3 John 1:2 ~


No comments: