Friday, February 7, 2014

Fat Shaming

It’s probably a safe bet that I will be in the minority on this topic, but I am so tired of the phrase “fat-shaming”. It’s over and unnecessarily used in my opinion. Anytime anyone has a point of view regarding someone in the public eye who may (or may not) be overweight, they are accused of “fat-shaming”. Today, I read an article about Gwen Stefani. She posted a Twitter picture of HERSELF from 1983 and referred to her younger self as “chunky”. People went nuts! She was accused of fat-shaming herself. Well, take a look at the photo…she was a little chunky. Shouldn’t she be allowed to acknowledge that?
 
 
A few weeks ago, I was parking my vehicle at the bank. When I got out, the car next to mine had a bumper sticker on the window that read: NO FAT CHICKS!  I admit, at first, I was a little offended. The truth is no matter how much weight I lose, I’m always going to be a “fat chick” in my head. But after I stood in line and thought about it for a  few minutes I realized that the person who owns that car has an absolute right to his (or her) opinion and preferences.  If that person works out religiously and takes pride in their body, maybe they do want someone with the same focus on fitness. What’s wrong with that?

We have become so sensitive in this society. Anytime a statement is made publically or on social media that is less than politically correct, the rest of the world pounces like a pack of cheetahs on a baby gazelle.
 
 
 
 
 
Whatever happened to freedom of speech? We can’t make observations or have an opinion about someone else’s appearance? I am not suggesting that it’s OK to mock anyone or call a person hurtful, ugly names. There is a difference between being rude and simply stating what you believe. This whole “fat-shaming” phenomenon is going a bit overboard and has become more of a shield for people to hide behind.
 
More than one-third of U.S. adults are considered obese and obesity-related conditions such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer, are some of the leading causes of preventable death. I for one think that we should talk about weight and continue to talk about it until that number declines dramatically.

We all can’t be a size 0/2 like the current winner of The Biggest Loser, nor should we. But we have to stop being hyper-sensitive and start getting real about health and fitness. Especially in the African American community where “a few extra pounds” and being considered “thick” is widely accepted.

Look, I have been over-weight for more of my adult life than not. I’ve had a few men in my life suggest to me that I needed to lose weight, and no, that never feels good. But now that I am thinner and healthier, I can understand where they were coming from.  In my unprofessional opinion, we all need to look in the mirror and take an honest assessment of our bodies and the food that we are putting into them.  That’s not always easy, I realize. Losing weight and making time for exercise is not easy. Breaking bad habits is not easy. But man, is it worth it!

So please, do ONE thing today that will start you on the road to a healthier you. Pray against anything that could possibly hold you back. Make yourself and your health a priority in your life. Don’t hide behind the word “fat” and bury your head in the sand.

 
 
 
Be encouraged and fight for a better you. You are worth it!
 
 

 
 
Thanks for reading.


Always,
 
 
 
Blaque
Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers.
~ 3 John 1:2 ~

No comments: