Tuesday, February 4, 2014

"What are you doing to lose weight?"


BIG SIGH!

THAT question again...Now that people are starting to notice that I've lost my winter weight, I'm being asked: "What are you doing to lose weight?" And honestly, when I was a lot heavier, I probably asked that question too. But it's no secret, is it? Diet and exercise...it's not a mystery.

Sometimes I think what people mean when they ask that question is "Which diet?" and "What type of exercise?" Personally, I've done it all. I've been on Slim Fast, NutriSystem, Medifast, Weight Watchers and I've gone to a diet clinic that prescribed appetite suppressants and B12 injections. In my opinion, all of these things work if you work them as directed. But it's also my opinion that unless you're prepared to limit your food intake for the rest of your life, you're going to gain some if not all of the weight back as soon as you begin to eat normally again.

The truth is, to lose weight, you have to make exercise a real part of your life and reduce calories.

 
Yeah, that.
 
 
In 2011 I had Gastric Bypass Surgery. Some people are under the impression that Weight Loss Surgery is "the easy way" to lose weight. Let me enlighten you...it ain't easy. I still have to fight for it. What WLS has done for me is given me a "tool" to control how much food I eat. My portions are much smaller (most of the time). But I still work out. Last night, I busted out 5 miles on the treadmill at the gym then came home and did Ripped In 30 once I put my son to bed. When I don't workout and when I over indulge, I gain weight. Weight Loss Surgery doesn't fix emotional eating or a sedentary lifestyle. You still have to put in the work.
 
So if you notice that a friend, family member, or co-worker has lost a significant amount of weight and you're secretly hoping that they've found a way to do it without working hard at it, know that they probably haven't. (But if they have, hit the "contact me" tab and hook a sistah up!) :-)
 
The only way that you're going to win the battle of the bulge is to break bad habits, exercise regularly, and eat healthy. Oh yeah, and don't forget to pray. That helps too!
 
 
 
 
Thanks for reading.
 
Always,
 
Blaque
Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers.
 ~ 3 John 1:2 ~

No comments: