Friday, September 6, 2013

Don’t Be Afraid of Green Smoothies


I love green smoothies! And slowly more and more people are loving them too.Even my Mom gets excited when she sees me making them, she's hooked too.

Green smoothies are blended drinks that combine leafy greens with fruits, vegetables and often healthy fats, such as almonds, hemp seeds, flax seeds, etc.

Green smoothies are packed with fiber, are very filling, are quick and easy to make, and they’re an excellent way of getting your recommended daily requirement of fruits and veggies.

My smoothie of choice is made with strawberries, bananas, spinach and kale. Yesterday, I also added a scoop of protein powder because I had this smoothie instead of my morning protein shake.





I will admit, these smoothies look a little suspect, but they taste great. I ate less yesterday after drinking mine and instantly felt very energized. The Internet is filled with hundreds, thousands maybe of green smoothie recipes. But all you simply have to do is buy fresh (organic whenever possible ) green leafy vegetables and blend them with your favorite fruits using a 60/40 ratio of veggies to fruit. You may want to add a little water or a nut milk of some sort to help the blended process. I like mine thick so I add very little.

Blend it, chill it and trust me, all you will taste will be the deliciousness of the fruits.

So I had part of my smoothie for breakfast then I had a little more later in the day. I also had a Nature Valley protein bar and a pint of Chinese vegetable friend rice and a spring roll.

Because I went off my diet and had Chinese take out for lunch, I decided finish up early at work and take a 5 mile nature hike before my son's nurse left for the night. And I am so glad I did. I love being out in nature and just marveling at the beauty of it all. 

I went to a place called Mariner's Park to walk the Noland Trail. This trail is very demanding. It's hill after hill for a full 5 miles. The first 2 miles I did my C25K Week 4 Day 3 run. The rest of the way continued to alternate betwen jogging and walking doing mostly walking for the last mile or so. But I felt great afterwards. 







Obviously after jogging and walking for 5 miles I took a rest day from Ripped in 30. But tonight is the night that I start Level 2. I can't wait to see what Jillian has in store for me!

Thanks for reading.

Always,

Blaque




No comments: