Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Seasonal Blues



I feel you slipping away from me. Please don’t go! When I was younger, my family tried to keep us apart. But now, I embrace you. You’re so hot and I love the way you make me feel. Thanks for the awesome tan you gave me this summer, Mr. Sun. Let’s do it again next year, OK? Hurry back!

XOXO

Yolanda


Fall is definitely in the air. The weather is getting cooler and with that comes the promise of greyer days.

Already I feel myself coming down with a case of the Seasonal Blues. I love summer days, blue skies, and the warmth from the sun. When I was a child, there was a story in my family about me being "allergic" to the sun. That wasn't true of course. I have abnormal pigmentation on my right leg, thigh and buttock. Because of the loss of pigment, those areas could potentially burn very easily. Somehow that got translated into me being allergic to the sun, so I spent the better part of my childhood hiding out in the shade with a vampire-like complexion. It wasn't good.

As an adult, I love live for sunshine. I can't get enough of it. When I'm walking or jogging I enjoy taking in the scenery and marveling at the beauty that God made.







But as the winter months get closer my mood begins to worsen. Last winter I hibernated and gained almost 30 pounds. Not this year! I won't allow it.

Although it was a little chilly yesterday, I willed myself into jogging/walking 5 miles and it actually felt great! When I went through Boot Camp it was during the coldest months of the year: January and February. Cold weather certainly wasn't an excuse to stop training back then. So this winter I am going to TRY and stay active outdoors even in the colder climate (as long as it's not brutally so).



I've been having problems getting started with Level 3 of Ripped In 30. I've lost my motivation and I've been so focused on my runs that I haven't really been pushing myself with my night time workouts. Plus, these workout are getting tougher and in classic Yolanda Harris form, when things get tougher I bail!
This must stop!


I saw an idea on the internet that I thought I would try out on myself. Every time I complete a DVD at night, whether it's Ripped In 30 or some other workout DVD, I will put one dollar in my workout jar. Some people stop at $100, but that would require me to go into the jar and count to see how much money is in it. I don't want to be tempted to "borrow" from what's supposed to motivation. So on December 18th, I will see how much is in the jar and treat myself to something nice!


Tell me, what do you do to stay motivated?  I'd love to know.

Take care and thanks for reading!

Always,

Blaque

No comments: