Wednesday, September 4, 2013

"Your Face Is So Thin!"

So my son went back to school yesterday.
 
 
Happy 1st day of school Travis!



He has the same bus driver as last year. When she saw me, the first thing she said was "Your face is so thin!"
 
BIG SIGH!
 
I mustered up a half-hearted "Thank you." But I am so over people telling me how thin my face is. I mean, I get it. My face is super thin these days. I've lost over 80 pounds; it's supposed to be thin. If I had my old face with my new body, I'd look like I had a profound and incurable case of the mumps.
 
 
 
 
But with so many people commenting on my face specifically, it's starting to feel like insults. I can't control where the weight comes off or how thin my face is getting. I'm at my lowest weight since my 20's, so I understand that most people aren't use to seeing me look this way. But the fact is, I am still considered over weight. If people are freaking out now, what will happen when I lose another 20 or so pounds?
 
I believe that most people mean well, but I can't help but wish that they would choose their words more carefully. I wish that they would consider that by commenting on a person's weight loss or weight gain they may be contributing to that person's body image issues. I realize that we live in a looks-based and diet obsessed society, so at the first sign of a friend, family member of co-worker losing weight or changing their appearance, the curiosity of others is piqued. But for me, a person who has struggled with weight and food and my body, comments about my appearance feels incredibly intrusive.
 
Wouldn't it be nice if everyone handed out compliments for things OTHER than someone's appearance? Tell me that I am a good mother. Compliment me on my good deeds or for teaching someone something new. In fact, that's my challenge for anyone reading this. Compliment someone today for what he or she does or for who he or she is. Then come back and share it with me.

Looks change, but a person's heart, soul and character is ultimately what's all important.
 
Moving on...I was so anxious about getting my son off to school that I left the house without my lunch. So I had to visit my old pal the snack machine while I was at work. However, I tried to be thoughtful and make the healthiest choices possible.
 
I had protein shake before I left the house. Then later had a bag of trail mix (270 calories), 2 fiber one bars (140 calories each). I had some green tea. And I also had some Vanilla Crème muscle milk that I keep in my desk. (170 calories and 20g of protein). Muscle milk is super tasty and very convenient for work or to drink after a workout. For dinner I had a Smart Ones meal. It was the Creamy Pasta Romano with Spinach. (230 calories). I try to stay away from a lot of processed foods, but I keep them in the freezer and try to only have them once a week or so.
 
On my two 15 minute breaks, I took a walk around the perimeter of our campus.
 
 
 
Getting away from my desk and breathing fresh air during the day is one of the things I am going to miss the most about the end of summer. When the cold weather sets in, I won't be able to get out and walk or jog. I really love being out doors and taking in the beauty of my surroundings. I am going to take advantage of what's left of the nice conditions and get out as much as possible.
 
Before I went to bed I completed Level 1 Day 5 of Ripped In 30. I went back to using 5 lb weights and I think I will complete one more day with 5 lb weights before moving on to Level 2. I actually had more energy last night than I had while doing the first four days. Maybe it was because I didn't have a morning or midday workout like on some of the other days or maybe the carbs I had at dinner gave me a little more energy. I don't know, but it sure felt good to focus on the routine as opposed to watching the clock to see when it will be over.
 
If you're a parent, I hope your child had a great first day back at school!
 
And don't forget to compliment and share!
 
Always,
 
Blaque
 
 
 

No comments: